aviation planning and engineering
Every detail impacts the travel experience – and we want travelers to say great things about your airport. Planning and engineering is just the beginning. The details and work behind the scenes are what really brings your project to life. It’s the ability to identify funding opportunities, understand FAA rules, and think beyond today to help you prepare for tomorrow.
Select a Service
We're committed to engineering quality airport projects.
- Airfield Geometric Layout and Design – Runways, Taxiways, and Aprons
- Airfield Lighting, and NAVAID
- Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) and SRE Facilities
- ARFF and SRE Procurement
- Construction Administration and Observation
- Fueling Systems
- Landside Improvement – Access Roads, Parking Lots, and Utilities
- Pavement Design – New Construction and Rehabilitation
- Pavement Evaluation Studies
- Single and Multi-Unit Hangar Facilities
- Terminal Buildings
- Wildlife and Security Fencing
Our team understands owning, developing, and maintaining an airport facility can be a unique and complex challenge. We are creative problem solvers who offer a vision that is innovative yet flexible, allowing us to react to unforeseen industry changes.
- Airport Master Planning (AMP)
- Airport Layout Plans (ALP)
- Aviation Forecasting
- Capital Improvement Planning (CIP)
- Passenger Facility Charge Applications (PFC)
- Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Project Justification
- FAA Advocacy / Funding Procurement
- Land Use Compatibility Planning / Zoning
- Public Involvement / Consensus Building
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Compliance
- Categorical Exclusion (CATEX)
- Environmental Assessment (EA)
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
Our team has successfully completed FAA Airport Geographic Information Systems (AGIS) for clients across the nation. Projects include data collection for Airport Layout Plans, Instrument Procedure Development (IPD), Navigational Aid Siting, and Airside and Landside Construction Aeronautical Surveys as required by the FAA.
- FAA Airports GIS Project Management
- Geodetic Control
- Field Data Collection / Documentation
- Obstruction / Airspace Analysis
- GIS Feature Class Attribution
- GIS Data Management
- Customized Spatial Analysis
Additional services you may need for your project:
Structural Environmental Oil & Gas Power Telecommunications Survey Right-of-Way Transportation Public Works Funding Resources Water Land Development Cultural Resources Construction Services Public Input Tribal
Gordon Municipal Airport
General Aviation airports have unique needs. Gordon Municipal Airport in Nebraska serves as the connecting point for surrounding communities. KLJ knows how important airports are and works hard to do our part to positively impact communities through our partnerships and projects at airports in the Midwest and Mountain West.
Williston Basin International Airport
Sloulin Field International Airport experienced increased activity that many airports, may never experience in such a short timeframe. With a recent oil boom in the Williston Basin, this western North Dakota airport’s passenger and aircraft activity increased dramatically in just a few short years. In fact, the increase was more than 10 times pre-oil-boom activity. This caused limited passenger space and runway weight limitations due to larger, more-frequent aircraft use of the airport. Major construction would be necessary to comply with FAA design standards. With no sign significant decrease in activity, the City of Williston knew they needed to make changes as soon as possible to support such traffic. The City hired KLJ and we worked tirelessly to fast-track the project. We executed an airport feasibility and site selection study, determining new location was the best solution, led the planning process, and conducted a thorough Environmental Assessment, which garnered expedited FAA approval.
Sioux Falls Regional Airport
Improvements made at the Sioux Falls Regional Airport provided safe aviation operations, allowing it to continue to be a major hub of aviation in South Dakota.
KLJ has been serving the Bismarck Airport in the capital city of Bismarck, ND as engineer of record since 2009. KLJ has provided planning, environmental, design, construction administration and observation services.
Mandan Airport Reconstruction
KLJ crafted a plan for the Mandan airport that included reconstructing the runway, portions of all connecting taxiways and the runway intersection, increasing runway strength with concrete, improving drainage with edge drains and replacing an aging lighting system with LED technology.
Baker Airport Runway Expansion
Baker Municipal Airport owners, City of Baker and Fallon County, commissioned KLJ to construct a plan to allow for increased jet traffic and fully utilize the airport.
VIEW MORE PROJECTS HERE: